Saturday, June 6, 2009

The "IN" Crowd

Three things that really bug me are INane, INept, and INebriated.
I am inept. I abhor inane and I do not handle the Inebriated well at all.

I wondered the other day about the entertainment, tv, comics, et al, that I do not find funny or clever. Finally Laura pointed it out to me: they feature the inane.
New sitcoms that people rave about and just don't get: The Office, New Adventures of Old Christine, Gary Unmarried ... all inane. Conan O'Brien and Jimmy Kimmel ... also inane. The is nothing clever about inane. Mutually exclusive traits.

On the other hand, inept is me. Multitasking is not for the inept. My daughters walk away when it is time for me to find my car keys somewhere in my purse, or my pockets or my house. My dwelling requires that I park my car, unload bags, walk to the locked downstairs door and put some, or every, thing down to fit the tricky key into the equally tricky keyhole, turn it and pull the door open without knocking over any of the bags I have put down in order to begin. Then pick it all up and truck up a high flight of stairs, down a hall, around a corner to my own door and repeat the process, often in the gloomy underlitness of the hall. No wonder I'm muttering inept words by the time the bags get carried to the counter! Those same keys are always dropped from my fingers at least once a day. I am inept. I do not sew, nor will I ever. I am no ept.

Then there is inebriated. Many of my good friends love to drink stuff; beer, margaritas, every verietal wine from every continent, as a regular part of the day, night or social occasion. Frankly, as I have gotten older, fewer and fewer of them do it to extreme. Lord knows, that used to be the norm. I am always reminded of a funny acquaintance of mine who was fairly intelligent but really drank a lot and often. It appeared to be an "ism". One day she was hounding me to "just have one drink, Miss Sally." I replied, "Oh, no thanks, I'm already dumb enough." She said, "Oh Miss Sally, you're not dumb at all." Get my point? The worst part about the inebriated is that they think they're cool and fun and smart and funny. And they're just drunk. Now, a table full of sober people may not be much fun, and some of them certainly are not. However, I'll stick to my belief that everyone ought to be able to have two alcoholic beverages every day and no one should be allowed any more than that!

No comments:

Post a Comment