Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Why Don't I Drink?


Alcohol, that is.  Its my blog and I can write about anything I want to, right?

And I wonder about my resistance to drinking alcohol.  Its allowed.  It is even served every Eucharist and I always partake.

What I think other people think about why I don't drink:  she comes from a long line of alcoholism, she must be one herself.   It is true, I am a carrier; father, husbands and sons and maybe some female antecedents that I don't know about.

Truth is I am not the least bit inclined that way.  In fact I am the most non-additive person I know.  I can't even develop good ones.

Here are what I think the reasons are:

1. I can't imagine not being able to think clearly when needed.  I am a single mom, I needed whatever wits about me I could muster.

2. I have never ever met anyone who was smarter when drunk.

3. Although I do know of a couple of guys who found me more attractive when they were drunk, I did not marry them.  In fact I married someone whose dislike of me grew with each drink.

4. Alcohol generally gives me a pounding headache.  On occasions it has given me even worse symptoms.

5. It sounds like a good idea.  Right now I have some bottles of pretty looking wine, some sherry and some Benedictine stowed around the house..  I never find a reason to try them.  Not entirely true, when friends visited Tyler and spent the night with me I did open a bottle and pour us all a glass.  I probably had three sips.  Even the stuff I like I don't want much of.

6. I am not comfortable with alcohol based conversation or camaradrie, it seems artificial.  Do I believe what someone tells me when they're three sheets?  Or, if I do, what about what they say when sober?

7. Frankly, I avoid spending time, even with old friends, for whom the necessary ingredient is drinking.

And, for complete disclosure, I have made some long ago forays into too much to drink myself.  I'll never forget champagne in plastic beer cups at the opening of a speakeasy style club in Market Square.  You would not believe how many times I had to ask PW to pull over to a curb!!!

Furthermore, I did grow up in a city with five, yes five major breweries.  Visitors always wanted to tour one or two of them.  I thought they smelled horrible.  I have only ever found one beer that I wanted another of and it was in Ireland.

Bottom line, "here's looking at you, kid" will be with a nice tall glass of lemonade.

1 comment:

  1. I remember the day when I realized that the reason I would have hangovers was that my body was saying, "Hey! You are poisoning me!" I drink very rarely now. Moderately when I do. Almost never at home.

    ReplyDelete