Friday, April 12, 2013

Yoga Music -- Rant alert



I love hymns.

I also love yoga, or as they call it at the Y, Gentle Yoga.  It is the best for stretching and feeling better.

But, I skipped Yoga again today.  I skipped for a crummmby reason.  The music.

We have a new instructor and she is very very good.  Except she insists on playing hymns for the session ( at least now instrumentals, earlier by choirs or Christian rockers).

One of the best parts about 45 minutes of yoga is to concentrate on your breathing, on not tipping over and on not being distracted.  

Maybe you can listen to familiar hymns and not be distracted; not remember the quartet at the Lordsburg Methodist Church singing that one at your Father's funeral; or how every rendition of that one reminds you of your Grandmother, or how "Blessed Assurance" immediately calls up a special Sunday service.  Good for you.

I can't.  I know, its a little bitty thing.  But, trying to remember the second or third verse of "Amazing Grace" is not conducive to yoga practice.

All my preceding yoga instructors used ethereal semi-Asian sounding music, fairly low, just so it would not distract.

I need to get a grip on this because I really believe that I feel better after Yoga.  

3 comments:

  1. Hymns? Augh! I would tell the teacher your opinion. Whether she changes it or not, she needs to konw. that would drive me screaming out the window.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I told her "supervisor" which got her off of loud praise music. I suspect that she believes she is "sharing the Lord" with we Yoga heathens. Not working with me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being the yoga enthusiast I am (snort) I can relate to what you are saying. Isn't part of the exercise to clear your mind and become one with the universe, or something metaphysical like that? I'd be too busy singing along to manage a one-legged crane pose.

    ReplyDelete