Saturday, August 20, 2011

Nobody ever wrote a play entitled ....

"How to succeed as a flunky after you've been the boss" but I could. Now obviously if I'd been wildly successful in the first five decades of employment I wouldn't be soldiering on as a flunky. And I'm not complaining. In fact, I'm grateful that someone still finds my flunky skills worth paying for. (I'm also pretty grateful that I get a Social Security check every month to support my working!)

However, it is a learning curve. After many years of being the writer, producer, planner for business and events, for companies and organizations, its not fun to be the last to hear about something. Or to learn that after fifty years as a writer I am no longer capable of providing simple press releases, well maybe still capable but someone else will now write them.

Those who point to "birth order" thinking know that as a first born I am naturally anxious to please and I guess that includes some form of acknowledgement that I have "pleased." Flunkies do not get acknowledgement. They get a paycheck. Flunkies do not get overtime they get "comp" time, sometimes. They also do not get to choose their lunch hour.

This was not a great week at work ... can you tell? Maybe its as simple as forty hours are a lot now when fifty hours didn't seem so much back then. Maybe its this lovely Texas Summer that seems a little tougher than usual. Maybe I'm just worn out or a big old whiner. I am looking forward to a day of vacation in another couple of weeks, a trip to Mexico with friends and also a visit to Katelyn, Alabama (the University), and "Le Miz" in September. It helps to have some things to which one can look forward.

A word to the younger among you ... make some plans about what you want to be when you grow old ... probably flunky shouldn't be your first, or second, choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment