Thursday, August 26, 2010

Retired, again.

After three and a half years as the Administrative Assistant for Bluebonnet Groundwater Conservation District, I have resigned. It is a great job that I have enjoyed. I did it very well and learned a great deal.

Probably I should have tried to stay a few more months. Many friends and family have said, "surely you can take it for just four more months." And I did make the effort. But you know how there is a boiling point from which you cannot get the steam back in the teapot? Well, I reached it and I quit. Very tearing event because a fine young man for whom I would love to work and to whom I could have been a substantive help will be taking the helm after the first of the year.

Fortunately, some folks know the lack of appreciation and serious discomforts up with which I have put for these years and understand my reasons.

Pretty scary time, small town, general financial malaise, etc., etc., etc. I can make it a few months without additional income, very few. For some reason I think I can find another job. I really hope it can be here in Navasota, a town I have grown to love, but if not here, somewhere.

We are having a family get-together in Galveston over the Labor Day weekend. It will be a great time for all those grandchildren to have some fun.. I am so grateful to have a family that likes each other. When grandchildren range in age from 27 to 3, that's saying something. Those big boys have remained close for all these years and revert back to silly summers in New Braunfels when they were pre-teens. It is fun to observe.

After that I hope to visit my family in beautiful Fairhope and pay my respects to gorgeous Gulf waters and its marvelous seafood. Then Katelyn and I will celebrate a couple of big birthdays with a night on the town in New Orleans. Kate turns 21 and I will be the big "70." I am living proof of that old saw, "if I knew I was going to live this long .... I would have saved a lot more money.!" I will never brag about what I did or didn't do that was "right" but I am very very thankful to be in good health and still able to pull my weight.

All y'all pray that I find a job ... but not until I get my fun and visits over with!

1 comment: